Regional and State Championships
Track and Field
The Track and Field Championships are open to every member of our centre in the U9 age group and older. The only eligibility requirement is that the athlete must have competed in at least 50% of our centre competition days prior to the Regional Championships which are held in the middle of February (16th-17th)
Athletes firstly compete in the Eastern Metropolitan Regional (EMR) Championships (Feb 16th-17th) which involves athletes from other centres in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Athletes competing at the Regional Championships may qualify for the State Championships which are held at Olympic Park on March 16th-17th.
Relays provide an opportunity for athletes aged under 9 and older to participate in team events and to learn relay skills. Relays also allow athletes and their families to form lasting friendships that are crucial to the development of all athletes. The centre has performed well in relays, particularly in mixed sex events. Our athletes enjoy competing in teams and cheering on club mates.
Who can compete?
To be eligible to enter the Region Relay Carnival, athletes must be registered and be a financial Little Athletics Victoria Competitive Member by the closing date and time for entries. There are no exemptions.
How you can compete
Athletes can enter a maximum of three team events only, in a ‘combination’ of any of the following:
- 4 x 100m (Male/Female and/or Mixed Sex (MS))
- 4 x 200m (Male/Female and/or Mixed Sex (MS))
- Medley (1 x 100m, 1 x 200m, 1x 300m 1 x 400m) (Male/Female)
This year, Camberwell Malvern will participate in 3 relay events:
- Box Hill Warm Up Meet – Sunday, 21 February – Box Hill Athletics Track
- Eastern Metropolitan Regional Relays – Sunday, 28 February at venue TBA
- State Relays (for qualifying teams) – Sunday 28 March – Casey Fields – teams must qualify at EMR to compete at State Championships.
Tina Paterson can be contacted anytime on email@example.com or via text on 0409 355 667
Relay Selection Criteria
A relay squad consists of all the athletes in a given gender/age group that have asked to participate in relays and have agreed to make themselves available for training and competition days. A relay team consists of 4/5 members taken from the relay squad. Relay squads/teams shall be selected using the following broad criteria:
- To select squads/teams with the best potential for progression to the State Championships with ultimately the ability to secure a State final position, and
- To progress as many athletes as possible commensurate with the athletes abilities
More specifically the selection is based on the following criteria (in priority order):
- Athlete’s performance over relay distances (100, 200 & 400m) (Taken from normal competition times or, where insufficient times are available, from time trials or head to head results.)
- Athletes’ proficiency in relay race technique – baton changing, lane position, knowledge of rules, etc
- Attitude and being a ‘team’ member
- Attendance at training.
Each athlete can be nominated in a maximum of 3 squads. It is important to note that once the squad composition has been nominated for Regions it cannot be changed for States.
Wherever possible, in a squad consisting of greater than four (>4) members, the members of the team shall be rotated, during heats and finals at Region and State, so as to enable all team members to compete in as many events, at as many levels, as possible.
Depending upon team preferences training is will be held as follows:
- Wednesday, 27 January at 4:30pm at Righetti Oval
- Sunday, 31 January at 9:30am at the Bill Sewart Athletics Track, Burwood
- Wednesday, 3 February at 4:30pm at Righetti Oval
- Sunday, 7 February at 9:30am at the Bill Sewart Athletics Track, Burwood
- Wednesday, 10 February at 4:30pm at Righetti Oval, Kooyong
- Wednesday, 17 February at at 4:30pm at Righetti Oval
- Wednesday, 24 February at 4:30pm at Righetti Oval, Kooyong
Training times and location may change once we get access to the St Kevins track in Tooronga. Teams are welcome to train before our competitions on Saturday morning as well.